1. Every day, connect to your body, mind, and spirit.
2. Inform yourself. Don’t go into birth blindly. Know what kind of birth you want. Know what you want for yourself and your baby. Have a plan, and be ready to let it go if need be.
3. Connect with other women. Find a way to learn from other like-minded women; this is our nature and how the power of birth is passed on. If it is hard for you to find a group in your town, find an online group to share experiences.
4. Normalize birth. Read as many natural birth stories as possible and watch as many natural births as possible (on video of course). This normalizes birth and connects you to the women who have gone before you.
5. Take at least one childbirth prep class that focuses on natural childbirth (I highly recommend finding Sacred Pregnancy classes near you. They are the absolute best classes I have found for pregnancy, birth & sisterhood.
6. Take a breastfeeding prep class from an experienced lactation consultant.
7. Get support. Find people who will support you and your birth plan. If you are giving birth in a hospital, HIRE A DOULA!!! Have a support web for after baby comes so you do not have to do anything but rest and take care of your baby.
8. Read books and birth stories that will empower you. Some of my personal recommendations are: